Friday, November 17, 2006

That Was the Funniest Thing I've Written.

This morning I am in the midst of writing a fairly depressing,morose,sad portion of the story. I'm feeling good about doing this, having some closure at the end of the story is a good thing. Then out of the blue the characters are saying the darnest, funniest things and for two pages I can not get these three to shut up and get back on track. Am I leaving it in..oh yeah, I am leaving those two pages in. I laughed out loud.
The mirror image of sorrow is merriment, happiness. I would not go so far as to say the characters were happy, but maybe comforted by their humor and their friendship.
Certainly an interesting development when writing sad, depression to have the characters force to the surface the basic human feeling of joy. I wish I could express that better.

No comments: